Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Some Assembly Required


I found this via BLDGBLOG, a great site for oddities of architecture, landscaping, and geology. (Thanks to Matt for letting me know about it). They're highlighting the work of Dr. Ron Blakely at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff. He's a geologist, and has put together some beautiful maps of North America as it appeared over the past 600 million years. The image is for 75 million years ago, in the "Late Cretaceous." More images, as well as the science behind them, are available here.

If you're interested in geology, make sure to check out In Suspect Terrain, Rising from the Plains, Basin and Range, and Assembling California, all by John McPhee. Or, pick up all four plus additional material (Crossing the Craton) collected together in Annals of the Former World. Make a voyage down to your local public library - it's all in books.

Filed in:

1 comment:

Trebor Nevals said...

Ahhh... that takes me back... why I remember when... well. No, I don't remember but I like to think I remember.

THE MIND IS NOT A VESSEL TO BE FILLED BUT A FIRE TO BE KINDLED