Thursday, April 13, 2006

Awake

Tuesday night, I turned in at my usual hour, after a normal day of work and play. But for no apparent reason, I could. Not. Sleep. I tossed and turned for hours, and I don't know why. I started to fidget.

I ended up making a big mug of hot chocolate with milk, hoping it would help me drift off. It didn't help much. I ended up getting about 4 hours of sleep that night. And it happened again last night. Yesterday at work was awful - I couldn't focus, I was squirming and fidgeting with nervous energy. My mind was alert, but couldn't focus. I had that awful feeling of tiredness, behind the eyes. I couldn't stop tapping my legs at my desk; I had to get up and pace the halls a number of times. Today has been a little better, but not as much as I hoped. At least I've been able to focus on the project I want to get finished before the weekend. Any ideas on how to stop this from recurring would be great.

On a more positive note, Tyson & Michelle have invited me to visit them in Christiansburg. Tyson is giving his thesis defense for his masters on Friday - hopefully I'll be able to catch it. It should be fun, and I'm glad I can catch them before they move on to Tyson's next billet. In Alaska. I'm looking forward to slipping out of town for the weekend - it's been a while.

Filed in:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Did you try lying on your bed, and, you know, having your eyes closed, and just relaxing?"
"Oh, that's genius. What a great idea. Let me write that down; so, you're saying, what I have to do to fall asleep, is go to sleep. Is that right? Is that what you're saying? Good! 'Cause it's brilliant! You should write a book! You should give seminars, alright? You'll make millions of dollars! 'Attention all insomniacs, all you have to do to fall asleep, IS LIE IN YOUR BED!'"

I like Home Movies.

Dan said...

"DVD!!"

kelly said...

I hope your weekend was a fun one, with sleep. :)

Matt Boulanger said...

Bourbon. You may not get to sleep any sooner but you won't care that you're awake.

THE MIND IS NOT A VESSEL TO BE FILLED BUT A FIRE TO BE KINDLED