Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Christmas in Effect

Christmas has begun. I strung up more lights to make my place more festive, I started packing for my trip to Portland, I got this year's card from Chris, and I got my first few gifts.

This is the 10th Anniversary card from Chris, and he once again proves how clever he is. This year's cross imagery is set at a 45 degree angle, forming an X - or roman numeral for 10. As always, the artistry is of the highest quality. I also received a very cool card from Steph, featuring a picture of what I can only guess is some kind of peppermint martini, with candy-cane swizzle.

Speaking of cards, I've been getting compliments on this year's Danta Claus cards. In fact, the custom stamps seem to be garnering even stronger responses. I'll have to put more effort into both next year.

Had a really nice dinner with Steph last night. We went to Bilbo Baggins just down the street, and it was extremely good. I had chicken stuffed with andouille sausage and monterey jack cheese, while she had a salad and roast butternut squash soup. I got to try a little of the soup, and it was outstanding - there was ginger or something in it, very good. After dinner, we had some eggnog and exchanged gifts. I got an extremely cool Camelbak for biking, hiking, etc. And then, waiting when I got home, was a package from Vanessa Bittermann. Normally, I wouldn't open what is clearly a gift shipped to me before Christmas. But I had sent Nessa a gift, a copy of The Time Traveller's Wife, and she opened it and read it while she should have been working on papers for her masters. And as we all know, two wrongs make a right. I got Nathaniel's Nutmeg, which I am already looking forward to reading. Pictures of lights, gifts, and cards to follow later.

In less pleasant news, my landlord has decided to sell my house at the end of my lease. Since I cannot possibly meet the asking price, I have to move again. With just a little luck, I will be staying in the Del Ray / Old Town area. I need to be close to the custard shop, after all.

No comments:

THE MIND IS NOT A VESSEL TO BE FILLED BUT A FIRE TO BE KINDLED