Sunday, April 22, 2007

Cyclopath

I read a brief mention of a movie today, called The Flying Scotsman. It was written up by one of the local biking sites, TheWashCycle. It is about a Scot, Grame Obree, who set the Hour Record in 1993 and 1994, on bikes he designed and built himself. He went 52.173 km (32.75 miles).

I had never heard of Obree before, or seen his bike designs. They are brilliant in their simplicity. But I think they would be extraordinarily difficult to ride. I'm not sure I would ever want a bike like that... but I'd love to try one out for a ride or two.

Speaking of bikes, though, May 18th is Bike to Work Day. Many areas will have events including free breakfasts and bike convoys. I wouldn't suggest joining a commuter peloton on a bike like Obree's, but maybe your beat up beach cruiser will do.

No comments:

THE MIND IS NOT A VESSEL TO BE FILLED BUT A FIRE TO BE KINDLED