Friday, April 13, 2007

Consonance

I am not telling you anything new; you have heard of The Onion and appreciate its excellence. Recently, The Washington Post announced it was partnering with The Onion to present a local DC edition.

I was very happy to hear this, and not just for the humor. The AV Club section online and in print does an excellent job on movie, book, and music reviews. They have a good crossword each week. But best of all, I've always heard that the local print editions do a good job of covering local events. Theater, museums, all kinds of music shows, etc. And the print edition is free! To Hell with the express and The Examiner. Too bad it only comes out once a week.

The only problem was tracking down my copy. The DC edition launched the first week in April. Word on the street was it would be available near other free paper boxes. But I saw none at my metro stations on either of the past two Thursdays, when it comes out. I was understandably disappointed and looking for answers. I even wrote in to the WP online chat about the new offering, asking "Where is it?" Nothing doing, last I checked.

Imagine my surprise and happiness, when I found a stack of copies at The Dairy Godmother. I love her frozen custard - and now she has my Paper of Choice on hand for free. And it makes complete sense, since she is from Wisconsin and The Onion started in Madison. All good things are in harmony.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Completely unrelated, but wondering if you're watching CSPAN3 tonight... live coverage of the Coast Guard and Marine Transportation subcommittee on the Deepwater debacle, especially the 123 problem.

THE MIND IS NOT A VESSEL TO BE FILLED BUT A FIRE TO BE KINDLED