Friday, March 31, 2006

Cyclic

Beautiful weather here, just in time for the Cherry Blossom Festival across the river. I've seen them a few other years, and there are a number of trees in my neighborhood that I can see bloom without being troubled with the crowds of tourists. They're "Weeping Higans," I think, but I'm no horticulturist - they could be Yoshino. Regardless, it's all very nice and spring-like.

With spring comes gardening, though. More cleanup starting tomorrow, possibly to include planting some kind of vine to grow along the fences. Hops, perhaps, to make it a little less garish. The thing is, I hate gardening. The line on me giving up and goofing off instead is about 50-50.

Today, I took advantage of Half Day Friday and went for a bike ride down to Mount Vernon. Thanks to my new bike computer, I can tell you it was 29.08 miles, and I averaged 16.9 miles per hour. It would have been faster, but some idiot almost ran me off the trail coming the other way and I had to stop to avoid him. And the trail runs on the streets through Old Town, which was clearly already in the throes of tourist season. The going was slow. But it was an excellent day to be riding - a little breezy, but warm and not too much sun.

And lastly, I've subjected myself to more torture by HTML. I'm trying to get the title background image on this page to rotate, so it's different each time you reload. I can make it work on a blank page, but not in the background slot. Maybe there's a brilliant coder out there who will give me the answer via comments.

Filed in:

No comments:

THE MIND IS NOT A VESSEL TO BE FILLED BUT A FIRE TO BE KINDLED