Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Reader

I'm a big fan of many of the free services Google offers online. The two I use the most are probably GMail and Google Reader. I route all of my mail, except for my work account, through GMail. It is just so convenient and functional; it even has one of the best spam filters I've ever used.

But while GMail (and the time burglar that is GChat) are extremely helpful, I love Reader. My chief pleasure is learning new things, and Reader is a great way to tap into and aggregate information from as many sources as you like. I use it to keep up with baseball news, astronomy articles, world events, movie and television reviews; I even get updates from a biophysics site (Biocurious - check it out).

I often use the email function in Reader to let my friends know about articles or entries they might find interesting. However, it now has a nifty function that allows you to tag those entries you want to share, and collect them on a unique shared items site. I've had trouble using the embedding function, but I've placed a link over on the right as well, if you want to have a look.

This is all fine and good, but I hope anyone else out there who uses Reader will start sharing as well, so I can latch on and learn about the interesting things my friends and family are reading.

3 comments:

Matt Boulanger said...

Done and Done. I've enjoyed your shared stuff already, Dan,

Matt Boulanger said...

Oh, and I have my "starred" stuff in the right column of my blog, rather than shared- My process is to usually blow through my Reader headlines first thing in the morning, then later after work, starring as I see stuff I like. I often don't get to read those items until the weekend, at which point I think I'll start picking stuff to share.

Christopher said...

Nothing I read is worth passing on to be honest.

But don't worry, if something seems like a justifiable waste of time, I'll be sure to tag it as such.

THE MIND IS NOT A VESSEL TO BE FILLED BUT A FIRE TO BE KINDLED