Tuesday, December 18, 2007

How I Learned to Enjoy the Writer's Strike

I enjoy TV. I use my TiFaux liberally, and then watch (and rewatch) on my unnecessarily large high definition big screen. I am not above channel surfing, just coasting up and down the digital dial even when I am near certain there is nothing worth watching all the way through.

I recognize this as a failing of mine. I could spend the time better reading, taking up a useful hobby, something. But recognizing a problem does not correct it. I'm not looking to give up the tube; but merely focusing. With the DVR, I can watch only quality programming, and even skip commercials. All Killer, No Filler.

And now, unexpected help in continuing Dan's Personal Improvement Program. The Writer's Strike! Now, there's even less worthwhile shows on. Combined with the all-out assault on good taste that is Holiday Programming (seriously, Christmas Shoes?), and there is no time like the present to learn how to scale back and realign your time.

So, I've found a great book (Legacy of Ashes - it won the Pulitzer for a reason), and I'm excited to come home from work each night and dive right back into it. And while I look forward to the return of the well-crafted TV programs I enjoy (shouts-out to Battlestar Galactica, 30 Rock, and Pushing Daisies, yo), I look forward even more to a continued sense of application and time well spent.

No comments:

THE MIND IS NOT A VESSEL TO BE FILLED BUT A FIRE TO BE KINDLED