Saturday, May 09, 2009

Schooly-D

School's out, school's out
Teacher let the monkeys out
One was jailed
And one prevailed
Both asked God
"How have I failed?"
-Grad School chant (traditional)

Good stuff from Matt Groenig's book "School is Hell."

I've finished my first class towards my masters via the Virginia Tech online system.  It wasn't too rough; I think it did what I needed it to, which was reacquaint me with the habits of study and homework.  Now over the summer I'll be taking a course with material I've never taken before, Manned Submersible Design.  I'm looking forward to it - submersibles are what got me interested in this field in the first place.  You can draw a straight line from Peter Buonincontro buying me a copy of Seven Miles Down at the middle school library sale through my acceptance to the Coast Guard Academy to finishing my BS in Ocean Engineering and earning my PE in naval architecture.  And it looks like that line will continue with a masters in Ocean Engineering... in about 4 years.  At least I'm off to a good start.

No comments:

THE MIND IS NOT A VESSEL TO BE FILLED BUT A FIRE TO BE KINDLED