Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Damned Windy


I read about a very interesting idea today. In truth, it sounds like it is little more than a funnel that channels more wind into a turbine. I'd have to go back into my old aerodynamics textbooks, but I think this would increase the incident speed of the wind on the turbine blades. If memory serves, high-speed turbines are more efficient, so not only would it generate more power since there is more wind, but it would be more effective at harnessing the wind power flowing over the blades.

However, this strikes me as one of those crazy capers or zany schemes that never gets built, like Project Pluto or the Illinois. Intriguing idea, though I have to wonder what would happen if it got backwinded.

No comments:

THE MIND IS NOT A VESSEL TO BE FILLED BUT A FIRE TO BE KINDLED