Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Blockoland

Like many companies, my employer limits the use of the internet over the corporate network. Some sites are blocked. Up until recently, it was fairly benign. Then they blocked YouTube, which was understandable. Not much work-related traffic going through that address.

Then they blocked the automatic feed for Dilbert comics. You can still get to them through the Washington Post site, for instance, but I appreciated the irony of the corporation blocking access to a comic that is essentially about the humorous drudgery of corporate life. Still, there's a workaround.

Today, they started blocking Slate, the online magazine. It's the company's prerogative, of course - they have an interest in keeping us on task, not distracted by the internet. Personally, I like to read on my lunch break, and Slate does a good news roundup in the mornings that I like to check as I start my day. I guess I'll start reading it before I leave the house.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BS! Total BS, man.

Watch out - next they'll block access to Blogger. In fact I'm surprised that wasn't one of the first to go.

THE MIND IS NOT A VESSEL TO BE FILLED BUT A FIRE TO BE KINDLED