Monday, February 26, 2007

Slayer

Snow and rain in DC yesterday, which brought a day wrought with peril on the roads. The weather was not especially bad, but due to lack of resources it takes the cities a while to clear the roads. I had the pleasure of dodging the slip-sliding locals on my way to get groceries, and then again while heading to BWI for a pick-up.

It was worth it, though. The grocery run was preceded by excellent brisket and eggs at the Evening Star, and the trip to BWI was followed by homemade meatballs, chocolate fondue, Halo deathmatches, and Night Watch. Freaky russian vampire movie, check it out.

I had a great day of gaming on Saturday, when I annihilated Aaron in the slayer deathmatches. But my mojo was not working Sunday, where he got his full measure of revenge. I did have fun playing against Steph. There was a tutorial element, since she didn't know the controls. Then she rocket-launchered me, and the gloves came off. Winning is fun.

I'm surprised how taken I've become with video games recently. I was talking with Ryan not too long ago, and he said he felt the same way. "Aren't we a little old for this?" And when I'm not actually playing, it does seem childish and escapist - I should be reading and being a grown-up. But it is so much fun, especially when I'm playing with someone else. It becomes social, and yes, it is escapist, but so is most entertainment. At least this is something I've found that I can enjoy with my brothers and my friends.

Though, it is another brick in the geeky house I'm building for myself: playing Halo, watching Battlestar Galactica, being an engineer, my library... It's all a bit nerdy. Oh well. As the Simpsons put it:

The geek shall inherit the earth. - Rainier Wolfcastle, "Undercover Nerd"

No comments:

THE MIND IS NOT A VESSEL TO BE FILLED BUT A FIRE TO BE KINDLED