Saturday, September 16, 2006

Herbicide

One of my favorite pleasures is when I find a book that I cannot put down. Usually, there are a number of unfortunate side effects: I stay up too late reading, leaving me tired and unable to focus at work the next day. I skip doing chores, exercising, etc, so I can get back to that book. Nevertheless, I can think of few things I find more enjoyable. So I was very pleased this week when I started Scott Smith's The Ruins. It's fantastic.

I don't think it is a great book, necessarily. I admire it for it's elegance, but it's not really art. It's like a machine, with the plot elements and characters meshing together likes gears and cogs to move you from beginning to conclusion. But it does it so well, and you can't wait to see how it happens. Smith also wrote A Simple Plan, which he adapted into a movie of the same name which may be the most depressing film I've ever seen.

So, if you enjoy thrillers, I recommend The Ruins without reservation. And if you like that, read this: House of Leaves. It will blow your mind.

No comments:

THE MIND IS NOT A VESSEL TO BE FILLED BUT A FIRE TO BE KINDLED